Jane McIntyre

Twitter

Follow me on Twitter:
@janemcintyre12 | @normandycottage

JanePic

Hello.

I'm Jane McIntyre, a Sony-winning BBC producer who asked to take the money and run. Now running, daily, and er... spending the money. Also, writing (recently runner-up in LateRooms travel blog competition) and working regularly as an 'extra' in TV, commercials and movies. Hurrah!

Thursday 26 May 2011

Focus a little blurred

Sad to see the 'closing down' signs go up at my local DIY store - Focus in Chard. Seemed to spend half of my life in there when I bought my house in Axminster five-or-so years' ago.

So, why has the Focus chain failed?

Off the top of my head, three things spring to mind:

1. A failure to adapt to the changing world of DIY, as B&Q and Homebase have done, by offering a wider and more contemporary range of homeware and soft furnishings.

2. The wishy-washy name. Think the 'Do It All' brand, from their own back catalogue, is ballsier.

3. The colour scheme. That dark blue always looked drab, whether on uniforms or signage. The yellow and blue would've looked much brighter and stronger reversed, with a nice, bright yellow as the main background colour.

Let's hope the staff get fixed up with alternative employment very soon.